Friday, November 9, 2007

More Breeders and their Bad Ideas

I had to bite my lip to keep my mouth closed today. Was talking to a random acquaintance and they mentioned their friend brought their dog to school because she's close to having puppies. Apparently the dog is a mini dachshund they bred to a chihuahua.

I seriously tried hard not to gag as she mentioned how adorable the puppies were. She said this over and over as she tried to find myspace as I casually slipped in my opinions such as how "Oh wow hopefully they won't have all the genetic problems like some crippling spinal failure Hip Dysplasia or Elbow Dysplasia." She simply continued to blather on about how cuuuuute the puppies were. Give me a paper bag please.

It's finals sorry for the shot posts and lack of them all together. My next post will either be on WHY HD and ED dogs should not be bred or the degeneration of current breeds like 'teacup chihuahua's and how dachshund's legs keep getting shorter and shorter.

1 comment:

Irantfordays said...

I will point out the word LIKE in my statement to the girl who thought the only thing that should matter is the puppies being cute. She didn't even know that there were things to be tested for examples being:

Patellar Luxation Dach's rate #13
Chihuahua #22

I explained these problems to here, I didn't really think it necessary to re-cant the entire hour conversation

I never said spinal defects have anything to do with HD or ED.

And I am not ARA not even close, I hate ARA as they support banning of breeds like the american pitbull terrier and think no one should eat anything but veggies all day.

Dachshunds not only have shorter legs but are also have greater length of back.

Let's compare two images for comparison:

Old Dachshund
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/caribbeank9/RFD/museum009.jpg

We can go straight to the AKC page to see the change.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/dachshund/index.cfm